Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tea Parties, Past and Present


So I got a kick out of all the Tea Parties hosted yesterday in protest of government spending. All political views aside (I'll decline to get into mine here), I love the clever factor. And, it got me thinking about (what else?) party opportunity!

Whether or not you make yours as a statement to the government, a Tea Party may be the ultimate in proper parties. Since they can lend themselves so well to teaching good manners (and even peaceful activism), here's a Tea Party invitation that's a lesson in etiquette itself.

Attached to the invitation is a tiny envelope with three dainty messages reminding kids of the three Golden Good Manners: Please, Thank You, and You're Welcome. Each is an instruction for the party.
Please arrive on time
You're Welcome to enjoy (describe your activity)
Say Thank You to the person who invited you

I used this originally for a classroom party. The kids were taught basic etiquette lessons for a couple of weeks, then attended a matinee play and a "formal" luncheon served by the parents at the school. Those students who remembered to thank their teacher for the invitation received a sticker with captions like:
Hello, my name is Well Mannered
RSVP is French for "My Manners Rock"
You know my name. Good Manners is my game.

Clearly, this invitation could be used for much simpler Tea Party celebrations. So grab your table manners, tea cups, and teddy bears. Heated political discussions are just a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment